I am a postdoctoral researcher in isogeny-based and post-quantum cryptography at the Crytography Research Group at Bristol University, working with Chloe Martindale and Dan page. Previously, I was a PhD student at the Security and Privacy Group of the University of Birmingham, under the supervision of Christophe Petit and Sujoy Sinha Roy.
My research focuses on both theoretical and applicational aspects of post-quantum cryptography. I am interested in isogeny-based cryptography and developing new protocols based on isogenies. I also have experience cryptanalyzing existing protocols as well as developing efficient and secure hardware implementations of SABER and other lattice-based algorithms. I was a member of the SABER team, one of the four KEM finalists in the NIST post-quantum cryptography standardization process.
In the summer of 2022, I interned in the Advanced Cryptography group at Visa Resarch in Palo Alto, where I worked with Navid Alamati to develop new isogeny-based primitives. Between May and September 2021, I have been a research intern at Intel Labs. I worked together with Santosh Ghosh and Manoj Sastry to research a unified accelerator for multiple NIST finalist protocols.
- A. Basso, L. Maino, G. Pope, FESTA: Fast Encryption from Supersingular Torsion Attacks (preprint)
- A. Aikata, A. Basso, G. Cassiers, A. C. Mert, S. Sinha Roy, Kavach: Lightweight masking techniques for polynomial arithmetic in lattice-based cryptography, accepted at CHES'23 (preprint)
- A. Basso, A Post-Quantum Round-Optimal Oblivious PRF from Isogenies (preprint)
- A. Basso, G. Codogni, D. Connolly, L. De Feo, T. B. Fouotsa, G. M. Lido, T. Morrison, L. Panny, S. Patranabis, B. Wesolowski, Supersingular Curves You Can Trust, accepted at EuroCrypt'23 (preprint)
- A. Basso, T. B. Fouotsa, C. Petit, C. Weitkämper, Another Look at Adaptive Attacks on SIDH and Breaking HealSIDH
- A. Basso, F. Aydin, D. Dinu, J. Friel, A. Varna, M. Sastry and S. Ghosh, Where Star Wars Meets Star Trek: SABER and Dilithium on the Same Polynomial Multiplier, submitted (preprint)
- M. Imran, F. Almeida, J. Raik, A. Basso, S. Sinha Roy and S. Pagliarini, High-speed SABER Key Encapsulation Mechanism in 65nm CMOS (preprint)
- M. Imran, F. Almeida, J. Raik, A. Basso, S. Sinha Roy and S. Pagliarini, Design Space Exploration of SABER in 65nm ASIC, ASHES 2021 (preprint)
- A. Basso, P. Kutas, S.-P. Merz, C. Petit, A. Sanso, Cryptanalysis of an Oblivious PRF from Supersingular Isogenies, ASIACRYPT 2021 (preprint)
- A. Basso, S. Sinha Roy, Optimized Polynomial Multiplier Architectures for Post-Quantum KEM Saber, DAC 2021 (preprint)
- A. Basso, J. Bermudo Mera, J. P. D'Anvers, A. Karmakar, S. Sinha Roy, M. Van Beirendonck, and F. Vercauteren, SABER: Mod-LWR based KEM, NIST PQC Round 3 submission
- S. Sinha Roy, A. Basso, High-speed Instruction-set Coprocessor for Lattice-based Key Encapsulation Mechanism: Saber in Hardware, CHES 2020 (preprint).
- A. Basso, P. Kutas, S.-P. Merz, C. Petit, C. Weitkämper, On Adaptive Attacks against Jao-Urbanik's Isogeny-Based Protocol, AFRICACRYPT 2020 (preprint)
- A. Basso, F. Pazuki, On the supersingular GPST attack, Journal of Mathematical Cryptology vol. 16, no. 1, 2022 (preprint)
- Asiacrypt 2023, Guangzhou, 4 - 8 December 2023.
- PQCifris 2022, Trento, 10 - 14 October 2022.
EventsHere is a list of events I have attended or I am planning to attend soon:
- Real World Post Quantum Cryptography (RWPQC) 2023, 26 March 2023
- Isogeny Club, 14 February 2023
- Bristol Cryptography Seminar, Bristol, 14 November 2022
- PQCifris 2022, Trento, 15 - 18 October 2022
- Leuven Isogeny Days, Leuven, 21 - 23 September 2022
- Real World Crypto (RWC) 2022, Amsterdam, 13 - 15 April 2022
- Post-Quantum Cryptanalysis Workshop, Birmingham, 21 - 25 March 2022
- Isogeny-based Cryptography Workshop, Birmingham, 16 - 18 March 2022
I presented a survey on Adaptive Attacks on SIDH-based Protocols (slides)
- Asiacrypt 2021, virtual event
- Design Automation Conference (DAC) 2021, virtual event
I presented the paper Optimized Polynomial Multiplier Architectures for Post-Quantum KEM Saber
- Quantum Computer Science Seminar, Budapest, 25 March 2021
I was an invited speaker to present on Saber and lattice-based cryptography (slides)
- CHES 2020, virtual event, 14 - 18 September 2020
- PQCifris Seminar, organized by the Italian national association of cryptography De Componendis Cifris, virtual event, 24 August 2020
- Algorithmic Number Theory Symposium (ANTS), virtual event, 29 June - 4 July 2020
I gave a short presentation on On Adaptive Attacks against Jao-Urbanik's Isogeny-Based Protocol (slides)
- PhD Winter School on Cyber Security, Newcastle, 13 - 16 January 2020